Thursday, August 29, 2019

Crazy Plates by Janet & Greta Podleski


I don't remember how this weeks choice Crazy Plates became part of my collection.  I don't own their original cookbook LonneySpoons. But I suspect I heard so much about LonneySpoons that when Crazy Plates was published I had to get a copy.   Quirky recipe titles, wacky humour, health tips and interesting recipes that anyone can make is the winning combination in this book from this sister duo.

After I selected the cookbook I learned that Janet & Greta Podleski recently lost their mother whom they credit as their biggest supporter while writing their books.  This made me think of my Mom who has been gone over 10 years.  Mom's have a big influence over many aspects of our life including our relationship with food.  I credit both my parents to my exposure and understanding of food.  Dad was more on the growing and harvesting side of food, Mom's influence was taking those raw ingredients and making something wonderful.

She encouraged me to learn to cook at an early age.  Sometimes it was through tough love - if I didn't like what I was served for supper I had to get my own replacement meal - this is why I learned to make scrambled eggs by the age of 8.  Sometimes by making it fun - even as a very young child I would watch Mom bake.  When she would bake cookies, she would wait until the baking sheets had cooled before putting the next batch of dough on the sheest.  To help cool the sheets faster she would fan me with the sheets.  I thought that was great fun!

Once again I found lots of recipes I wanted to try and I have narrowed it down to a fun menu - I will let you know how it turns's out.



No comments:

Post a Comment