Sunday, August 25, 2019

Menu - Week 1


Cook! is a compilation Cook Book created by Dietitians of Canada, the National Professional Association for Dietitians, and written by Mary Sue Waisman, a culinary dietitian pioneer.
Recipes were provided by both Dietitians and the public to show how easy it is to cook food that can be part of a healthy diet while celebrating food from field to fork.

In addition to great recipes it includes a primer on healthy eating and through out the book there are tips on how to improve cooking skills.

While flipping through the book I quickly identified well over a dozen recipes that I wanted to try.  The hard part was narrowing it down to one menu.  I finally settled on

Pears with Grilled Haloumi Cheese

Indian Spiced Cauliflower, Potatoes and Chick Peas
Chicken Curry

Maple Barley Pudding. 

It was the first time I cooked with Haloumi cheese, if you haven't tried it yet - get some.  It has an interesting texture which I found intriguing.  Even when heated it holds its shape.  I love barley, but have never had it as a dessert before - think of baked rice pudding. The fruit in the Chicken Curry provided a nice sweet contract to the spicy curry.  They were all recipes I would consider making again.




I also prepared the Streusel-topped Maple Oatmeal Muffins.  Which I certainly will be making again
I have left stickie notes in several recipes which I hope to try soon,  but for now I need to select another cookbook for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment