Wednesday, September 25, 2019

James Barber The Urban Peasants Cooking for Two

Cooking for Two not only provides recipes that serve two people, but the instructions were written as if two people are preparing the recipes.  Even though I was cooking by myself the recipes were all simple and easy to prepare.
In the introduction James Barber states the recipes in this book are "basically simple"  because his goal is to get people in the kitchen cooking to show them how easy is it to cook good food that is readily available and not expensive.

I made several recipes, my featured  meal was
Tomato and Bread Soup
Rye Chicken with Pan Haggerty with a Lovely Zucchini Sauté 
 Oranges with Grated Dark Chocolate

In addition, for a quick lunch I prepared Stracciatella Soup and when friends were dropping in for tea I tried the Raspberry Coffee Cake.

I chose the Tomato and Bread soup because I was the recipient of an abundant tomato crop that I needed to use up. Simple ingredients come together into a delicious soup.  It can be left chunky for a quick lunch or pureed for a fancy start to the meal.  (Sorry no picture - the soup was so good technology ate the picture!)

I have used alcohol in dessert items and wine in main entrees but never alcohol in a main course so the Rye Chicken intrigued me.  My concern that the rye would overpower the dish was unfounded.  The chicken had a nice sweet smokey flavour that a gave a depth of flavour I have never had before.  Paired with Pan Haggerty, which is described as a coal miner's supper from Northeast England, a yummy dish of potatoes, onions and cheese - how could you go wrong.

Another vegetable in abundance right now Zucchini was turned into a Lovely Zucchini Sauté, the few additional ingredients in the recipe (garlic, basil, good quality olive oil)  just helped the vegetable to blossom into a great a side dish



The Oranges with Grated Dark Chocolate is not so much a recipe but a reminder that food does not have to be complicated.  A couple of good quality ingredients  - an orange, dark chocolate and cinnamon, all things we probably already have in the house; carefully assembled can make an impressive end to the meal.


The Urban Peasant Cooking for Two was ahead of its time in reminding people that good quality simple ingredients can come together easily to make a satisfying meal that can be as elegant as you want to make it.  Cooking with what is in-season and available saves time from searching for obscure items that you may only use once.  If you can find this books I would highly recommended adding it to your collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment