Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year

The beginning of a new year is always a time to reflect on what has been and look forward to what is to come.

I started this blog as way to celebrate my 50th trip around the sun.  My goal was to prepare a menu from 50 cookbooks that I already owned, prepare the meal and document the outcome.  Hopefully trying recipes I have never tried before, and trying something new (new technique or new food item).  I am a quarter of the way into this and I have reviewed 17 books, which is more than I thought I did and I have two more I still have to write about from the Christmas holidays as well as todays menu.  So if I keep up this pace I will certainly meet my goal!

What have I learned - it is more work than I thought.  Sometimes the two hardest things is narrowing the selection down to a few recipes to make, and having to move onto another cookbook when there is some many other things you want to make in the one you are on.

I have also become more aware of the work that goes into preparing to cook,  we often forget this in our day to day meal making.  Writing up shopping lists, actually checking the cupboards to make sure you have an item and not assuming it is there (I have been caught a couple of times, when I discovered I was out of a staple item - now I always check), picking up the groceries, putting them away and then planning ahead.  Some recipes required prep to be done a few days in advance or taking meat out of the freezer to thaw.  It is not like I wasn't doing all this before but I certainly have been more conscious of it lately.

Once the meal is prepared, remember to take the pictures before I eat; and this is all before we get to the actual blogging of the meal!

I admit the pictures are usually taken just before I am sitting down to eat. I don't waste a lot of time fussing because I want to eat while it is still hot 😀 and they are totally un-edited.  Though I think that will be one of my goals for 2020 - learn how to use a photoshop program!  As my pictures don't always do the meal justice.

So other than improving the photography,  what else do I have planned.....  not sure.  I do feel that each time I do this I am getting better and the most important thing is I am having fun 😋.  As mentioned I am off to prepare a special menu for New Years and will tell you about it soon.

Thank you for reading I hope you have found something you've liked.

I hope 2020 brings you peace, joy and happiness, as well as lots of great food.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment